Immigrant Women’s Support Service (IWSS)
The IWSS provides support services either face-to-face or over the telephone. A caseworker will discuss your options and can arrange a time to talk with you.
If you are in a situation of crisis and need immediate assistance, IWSS is available from 9:00 am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday.
Crisis support may include:
- Assistance to escape from a situation of domestic violence
- Support in relation to a recent sexual assault or an event that may trigger memories of a past sexual assault
- Help to access supported/crisis accommodation or other housing options
- Urgent legal advice for immigration, family law, criminal matters and domestic violence orders
If you need support to negotiate the different support systems we can provide you with ongoing support over a period of time negotiated with you.
Ongoing support may include:
- Support to report sexual assault
- Assistance to access the court system for domestic violence orders, family law, criminal matters such as rape and assault; accessing legal advice for immigration and other matters
- Support to access health services, housing, financial assistance
Counselling is available to assist you to assess your needs, set goals, consider your options, discuss your safety and other concerns, talk about your feelings, access other services that you may require and plan for the future.
If you have a child or children, we can discuss with you the impact of domestic violence on children, how to keep you and your children safe, and facilitate access to services available to children. If you have a child who has been sexually abused, we can help you to report the abuse, and to access support services for your child.
We offer community education sessions to groups interested in finding out about domestic violence and sexual violence, services provided by IWSS, the law in Australia and other topics as negotiated.
(07) 3846 3490